Pages

Followers

Thursday, April 1, 2021

April 1st

 Today while driving home from lab, I came across a podcast that made my drive home very enjoyable.  Not only was it enjoyable, but it was also informative and inspiring.

On the podcast, they were interviewing Dr. Marilyn Glassberg.

She spoke about the research her and her team did when the Covid-19 virus started. She mentioned the research some students had done was purely literary reviews, just like my current research. I had always thought meaningful research was the kind that involves a lab, so doing this research by researching literary reviews has not been as motivating as I hoped it would be. But, hearing about these students making a difference with their literary reviews has inspired me deeply. I am seeing my project with brand new eyes and enthusiasm.

So, for a little talk about my research this week.. here’s a little bit of food for thought: Apocynum Cannabinum, also known as ‘Dogbane’. Was used by natives in the Americas not only for its strong fibers to make ropes and baskets. But, it was also used for all kinds of ailments such as: headaches and cardiac issues. The root is able to be made into a mixture that helps hair grow and gets rid of dandruff.

 

Until next time,

Wendy

 

If you would like to listen to the podcast previously mentioned, go to:

https://phoenixmed.arizona.edu/podcasts , Episode 17 – Crisis Leadership: Innovating Treatment Protocols to Battle COVID-19

 


References:

Stevens, Michelle. (2000, December). Plant Guide Plant Materials Plant Fact Sheet/Guide Coordination Page National Plant Data Center INDIAN HEMP Apocynum cannabinum L. United States Department of Agriculture- Natural Resources Conservation Service. https://plants.sc.egov.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/cs_apca.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Networking

Networking has been a hard one for me, truth be told. I knew and expected to speak to strangers once I started working but did not realize h...