Pages

Followers

Thursday, February 11, 2021

Feb. 11th

Hello! And welcome to my blog. Although we don’t have access to a lab at this moment, learning doesn’t have to stop. This semester, I will be doing research on beautiful, yet poisonous plants here in Arizona.

The contenders on my list are:

Lantanas

Pothos (yes, those we tend to keep in the kitchen)

Desert thorn

Russian thistle

Water hemlock

I will be researching their benefits; whether they are toxic to humans, animals, or both; whether they are native or were they introduced to our landscape, and if they are invasive. Towards the end of my research, I will also be hiking the most popular nearby mountains and try to spot any of these plants out in nature to see how easy or hard it is to come across these plants in nature. No, I will not be tasting them.

Thanks for the information and encouraging articles:

Agredano, Rene. (2016, October). 6 Dangerous Desert Plants To Avoid In The Outdoors. RV Life. https://rvlife.com/dangerous-desert-plants-rvers/

(2014, October). Poisonous Plants. Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center. The University of Arizona. https://azpoison.com/poison/plants/poisonous-plants

Schalau, Jeff. (2018, August). Poisonous Landscape Plants, Backyard Gardener - Yavapai County Cooperative Extension. The University of Arizona Cooperative Extension. https://extension.arizona.edu/poisonous-landscape-plants



1 comment:

  1. I love this project! I think that it is important to know which plants are potentially dangerous. I also love to hike so I am curious to see what you find.

    ReplyDelete

Networking

Networking has been a hard one for me, truth be told. I knew and expected to speak to strangers once I started working but did not realize h...